Final Statement

With the end of my time at university just around the corner, its nice look back on not just the past year, but my entire experience at university.

When I applied for university, I was completing an Art & Design Foundation Diploma, with no idea what direction of design to take. 3 years later and I can confidently say that I have developed my work and illustrative style to reflect what I can achieve as a designer.   

My time at university has:
  • developed my technical skills
  • grown my confidence as a designer
  • helped me develop my design style
The professional practice module has been very interesting, from giving us contact with creatives; even through video calls, as it has given us an insight into the creative industry, across the different disciplines. This was helpful as we could get information and advice directly from people who have done it themselves. 

Remote working for me has been a blessing, as during the summer before starting third year, I gave birth to my daughter, this has given me the possibility to continue working toward the end of my degree, whilst being able to stay right by her side. 

The next step for me as a creative is to further develop my design work and my networking skills, and take the step towards freelancing. As I hope to focus my design work on illustration, my aim is to produce a high quality portfolio, containing a range of formats which a client may ask for, so I need to work on website design and UI design, alongside continuing work on product packaging and branding. I think that as a freelance designer it will be important to be able to cater to a range of clients whilst providing work in my style, but not limiting myself to just illustration jobs. Overall, I believe that university has given me an excellent starting point to my career, and it has enabled me to achieve a professional look throughout my existing portfolio, which contains a good range of different projects.                  

Comments