Final Animal Books

As the Creative Design Practice project progressed, I definitely had a clear vision of the final designs. My goal were accomplished, as I managed to create a selection of exciting and educational books for young children.  

For the final submission, I created 3 completely finished books from 3 separate series; Penguin Number book from the Antarctica series, Chameleon Colour book from the Amazon Rainforest series and Lion Body book from the Safari series. Alongside these books I also presented the complete back cover puzzles, and how they would look put together across the 4 books in the 3 series; Antarctica, Amazon Rainforest and Safari. 

Throughout the process, I wanted to keep each book cohesive in terms of the colour palette, so I focused on blue and purple on the penguin book. The use of tree illustrations for the chameleon book as it was themed around the Amazon Rainforest, and the beige and brown palette for the lion book. This just gives the books a finished and professional finish.

(Penguin Number book mockup)

For the penguin number book, I decided to create simple illustrations so that the young children could easily find and count along. The individual elements, especially the object illustrations which were on the plain colour backgrounds, such as the penguin eggs, rocks and snowflakes, were laid out so that they were contrasting against the background colour and easy to count without causing trouble for the child.    

(Chameleon Colour book mockup)

For the chameleon colour book, I tried to focus on one colour per page, I think this has worked really well, as the colour is easy to identify. By colouring the background the same colour as the chameleon on the page, and having the colour word coloured accordingly, it set the colour theme strongly throughout the entire book. I think this makes the book really successful and coherent.   

(Lion Body book mockup)

For the lion body book, I created close up illustrations rather than illustrating the whole lion's body, as by creating close up shots, I was able to have more clear space around the illustrations to show the text, which makes it easier to read. This is very important to keep in mind when creating for young children who are learning letter and words, as they need to be able to read the word to not get discouraged.   

Overall, I am extremely pleased with how the books have come together, especially how all the individual elements have finally been put together and seeing how they work. When designing this book I was aiming for a complete finish and a cohesive look throughout the three books, I can definitely say that the hard work has paid off, as I can see these books continuing into complete series.  

Mockup - "Six Fold Square Brochure Mockups 4718114" by FreePSDvn, sourced from freepsdvn.com

Comments