Animal Book Progress

The project presented in my posterzine, was a series of educational animal books, based around the area and habitat that the animal was from. In my proposal of the project I decided that I would focus on a couple of books instead of creating the whole series and creating branding. However upon beginning the project, I decided that I would create 3 books from the different series and focus on the finish of the books rather than focusing on the additional task of branding. 

Once I had drawn up all of my animal characters that would feature across the books from all the series, I decided to focus on the penguin, chameleon and lion as the main characters for my books. To begin the  artwork planning, I started to draw up penguin and chameleon from a few different positions and points of view, and then proceeded to draw the backgrounds and different details.
(Penguin character initial study sketches)

(Chameleon character initial study sketches)

When I decided to create the lion book, I knew that I wanted to design it with close up illustrations of each body part, which would allow me to create a simpler appearance, and also give more clear space on the page for the text. This was very important to keep in mind, as the words would have to be easy to read for the child who is learning their letters and words. Due to this decision, I did not create any body position and point of view sketches like I have for the penguin and chameleon.   

(Background

Once I had created the character sketches and planned the backgrounds, I created the final character and background artwork for the books in Adobe Illustrator, using the sketches as a guide. The other elements which I illustrated for the books were created directly in Illustrator, as I put the books together, so that I could design them around the rest of the elements and the backgrounds. I think this was the best way to approach this work as there was so many elements involved, it definitely worked for me.  









Comments